Please send your questions to lindsey.snopek@gmail.com. I will select questions at random to answer Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. I will also post tips and reviews on things I think are important, so check back frequently.















Review of Mexican Everyday


For Mother's Day I asked for the cookbook Mexican Everyday by Rick Bayless.  You may have seen him on Top Chef Masters on Bravo TV.  He is AWESOME.  He is basically the king of Mexican cuisine and I'm pretty sure he's not even of Latin descent.
Last night I picked the recipe for tomatillo-sauced enchiladas with spinach and mushrooms and embarked on my culinary adventure.  I had read through the recipe before hand, but most of the time, when I'm using a famous chef's recipe I somehow get lost in the middle and end up screwing something up.  Usually what I make never looks like the picture in the book.  And the directions are somewhat difficult to follow so I kind of wing it towards the middle of the recipe.  Not this time!  I breezed through the directions and ended with a successful and beautiful dish.  I couldn't believe it.  I also made a side of cilantro lime rice; recipe courtesy of myself.
After dinner I couldn't believe how great everything turned out and was excited to peruse the cookbook for more dinner adventures.  I highly recommend this cookbook for anyone who enjoys cooking and eating Mexican food.  Because of copyright enfringement and because I don't want to piss off Mr. Bayless I can not give out the recipe for the enchiladas, however, here is the recipe for my super easy rice inspired by Chipotle.
1 cup instant rice
3/4 cup chicken or vegetable broth
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
Salt to taste
Chopped cilantro to taste
Combine the broth, salt, and lime juice in a pot and bring to a boil.  Stir in the instant rice and cover.  Let stand for 5 minutes or until the liquid is soaked up.  Stir in  the cilantro until wilted.  Serve and enjoy.
Here's a picture of the final product.  Yeah me and Rick Bayless.  What a good team.

No comments:

Post a Comment